Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I need to replace my video card in my laptop, is there a difference between laptop cards and desktop cards?

I have a Dell XPS 1710 with a nVidia Geforce Go 7950 GTX card. It appears to be shot. I am currently shopping for a replacement but I am confused as to whether or not I simply shop for video cards as you would a desktop or are laptop/notebook cards totally different? I'm unsure what the motherboard is onboard the laptop but that would be easy enough to find out. Thanks to anyone who responds!|||I doubt you can upgrade video card for laptop as 99 percent are soldered in and integrated into the motherboard.



But check with maker to see for sure.|||Replacing video cards on laptops is one of the most difficult things to do. Obviously a pc video card would not work. Notebook cards are radically different. The only real way to upgrade it is to see if your current video card has slots for more video memory. Other then that, its going to be horribly expensive to install a new video card.|||I doubt its a separate component in your laptop. You might be looking at a new mainboard. I haven't been able to verify that however. Here is a review http://www.notebookreview.com/default.as…



check your warranty.|||Almost all laptop video cards are not upgradable at all. Desktop and laptop video cards are completely different and not interchangable. Your best bet would be to buy an entirely new laptop.|||contact Dell they used a proprietary format.



instructions for when ur ready to replace

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/sy…

No comments:

Post a Comment