Monday, May 7, 2012

Is it possible to improve my integrated video card on my laptop?

I have an integrated intel HD graphics video card on my Acer 5745. Most 3d games run pretty choppy. Is it possible to get an external video card slot for my laptop? If so, what am I looking at price wise? and While I have you here, what will a decent video card itself cost me?|||No, it's not possible. If you want a gaming laptop, you have to buy one.|||Unless you have mastered extremely delicate soldering skills, no, it is not possible.



Besides even if you did, the thermal efficiency would not match.



I recommend a Asus when it comes to gaming.

The GPU and fans are very powerful on their gaming systems.|||Sorry im not sure "/|||Typically laptops can't be upgraded GPU-wise. Overclocking them is risky because you risk burning out the main board. Unless it's specifically able to, usually the Acer lines have a (G) next to the model number for the ones that can be upgraded graphically. They use MXM slots, but it is RARE for a laptop to have that. I have an Acer 7520-5757 myself. So no unfortunately no way to improve the graphics itself...... However!!!



Acer laptops are NOTORIOUS for heat build up, mine was running nearly 100-110 degrees for GPU which is INSANE. If you're handy with small tools and careful with pins and stuff, and are capable of taking a laptop apart. Do this. Get some Arctic Silver (about $25 for a small tube, yea expensive but SOOO worth it, it last a long time too, depending how much you use of course) After you've peeled away the outer shell and are looking at the bottom, where the CPU and copper tube go to the GPU thing, careful with them. Then usually the GPU will have a thermal pad on it, little piece of plasticy looking thing. First clean off all the old thermal grease (usually the white cheap stuff) make sure the dies are shiny, then apply one good sized drop in the middle of the die on both the CPU and GPU, the GPU isn't really SUPPOSED to have thermal grease but I put some on anyway even with the thermal pad in the way, then make sure everything is snug and clean, you DON'T want any of that arctic silver lapping over the sides as the silver will create contacts with other parts and lets just say that's not good...... Once you've applied the arctic silver on both GPU and CPU dies, reinstall the copper tube assembly, this is what propels the heat from the GPU and CPU to the fan and pushes it out of the laptop. Clean the fan as well, might as well since it's already opened right? Careful as those blades break easy, use a soft toothbrush or something. Then basically put everything back together.



Download Speedfan by the way, nice easy way to monitor your temps.



I did that to my Acer and I literally went from 100-110 on STARTUP!! Down to 60-70, yea I was 105 normally on just sitting on the desktop, no games, no nothing, just looking at my desktop was 105 degrees, playing WoW was all kinds of choppy and went to 110-112. Did that and I idle at 61-62, still gets to about 80-90 if I'm playing WoW or something on it, but it's actually playable at 20ish FPS instead of the 5-10 I was LUCKY if I got before.



I HIGHLY recommend reapplying arctic silver for anyone with an Acer with graphics that run choppy, it won't make the GPU play more advanced games or anything but it will improve the cooling, and you will get some more FPS out of it. Don't expect to play a Crysis or BFBC2 or something, but playing WoW or other less graphic intensive games should run ALOT better.



If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, bring it a PC repair store and tell them that you just want them to put new arctic silver (make sure you tell them arctic silver) grease on your GPU and CPU. If you go in knowing what you want done, it's cheaper and easier, if you go in there like a customer they will want to diagnose and charge for this and that, and all you need is to get that arctic silver on, and I can almost guarantee GPU performance improvements.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment